400 yds. S.E., at the big spring, is the brick residence known as the austin House.
May 7, 1864. The Federal forces, having seized Tunnel Hill – their first movement in the campaign for Atlanta – Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman had headquarters at the Austin house, until May 12.
While here, Sherman learned that McPherson’s forces had failed to cut the R.R. at Resaca, after seizing Snake Creek Gap – May 9, whereupon the attempts at Rocky Face, Crow Valley & Mill Creek Gap, were dropped and all Federal units but the 4th A.C., Stoneman’s, & McCook’s cav. were shifted May 12, to the Resaca front via Villanow and Snake Creek Gap.
Clisby Austin House
Georgia Historic Marker. 155-025, Georgia Historical Commission, 1954
Whitfield County Georgia
Latitude: 34° 50′ 24.492″ N
Longitude: 85° 2′ 35.352″ W
Photograph taken by Linda Woodward Geiger. All Rights Reserved