In 1864 the direct road from Tunnel Hill to Varnell’s, passed through Harris Gap at this point, which is just N. of where Rocky Face drops off into continuous foot-hills.
Federal operations in Crow Valley by the 23d A.C. [Army Corps], began with its march S. from the Dr. Lee house to this road. Schofield had h’dq’rs at the Harris house (which stood opp. this marker until 1952), May 8, – 10, 1864.
May 9, Judah’s 2d & Cox’s 3d divs. moved S. from this road, astride the low ridge (E. of Rocky Face), toward Stevenson’s sector of the Dalton defenses. Hovey’s 1st div., in reserve, guarded the gap & supported Judah & Cox.
Georgia Historic Marker. 155-026, Georgia Historical Commission, 1954
Whitfield County Georgia
Photograph taken by Linda Woodward Geiger. All Rights Reserved