In 1862-1863 several Confederate hospitals were located here. The sick and wounded Confederate soldiers drank of the health – giving waters of the several mineral springs in this area. Drinking this mineral water and bathing in it enabled many sick soldiers to return to duty. Early in October 1863 these hospitals were abandoned to prevent capture by Federal forces. A skirmish took place here May 3, 1864. Part of the 4th Army Corps [USA], under General Howard camped here May 4th, 5th, and 6th, 1864.
Georgia Historic Marker. 023-13, 1987
Catoosa County Georgia
Photograph taken by Linda Woodward Geiger. All Rights Reserved